My 2012 in wrestling

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dwindow
Vinces Bitch

Number of posts : 1677 Favourite Wrestler :
Sami Callihan

PostSubject: My 2012 in wrestling   Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:31 am

2012 was a strange year for me in general; I finished University, ended a 4 and a half year relationship, starting working full time and started watching UFC more and more. Something in either my lifestyle or the wrestling product itself has lead to me not watching anymore. I'm looking back at the product itself last year to determine what the change was and to see if any of you agree.

For the first 4 months of 2012 I watched pretty much all the wrestling I could get my hands on; I own PWG events, WxW events and even went to a live IPW:UK show back in January. That live show was fantastic, I got to see Sami Callihan at his best, Mart Scurll (If anyone watches the TNA British Bootcamp you'll know him) team up with Zach Sabre jr and appearances from Mark Haskins, Joel Redman (now in WWE as Oliver Grey), Finlay and Magnus. I also watched every show that WWE put out, it was reasonably exciting with the lead up to WrestleMania and although you had the horrible feuds bubbling away (Kane v Cena) I was very content with WWE in general. I stopped watching the weekly shows with as much consistency as before and ultimately ended in me missing my WWE PPV in years at Summerslam 2012. I don't know what this has to do with the change to three hour Raw's but I struggle to sit through the show when it's as long as a PPV and now that I work full time finding that 2 and a bit hours in the evening is actually hard work. Aside from the the feuds at this time were not exciting and I had completely forgotten until looking back that John Laurinitis had beaten Cena in a PPV main event which lead to Big Show vs Cena.

Going into Autumn and winter I've stopped watching Smackdown completely as there is no reason to watch it anymore. My Raw viewership has declined to maybe watching one a month and skipping through most of the show. I watched TLC and the introduction of The Shield but very little else this winter. I have been a long time advocate of the skills of Rollins and Ambrose and not even their introduction has sparked that interest back into me.

Ultimately, has there been anything in WWE that has really made you want to watch in 2012? My disinterest in WWE has even made me not want to watch any indy wrestling, something I really used to enjoy. I'm hoping that in 2013 WWE can regain my interest with a great Royal Rumble PPV to start the year but I just don't know if I can handle sitting through the 3 hour Raw's that will link the PPVs. Have you guys felt anything similar this last year? And if you could change one thing about WWE what would you pick? Mine would be the end of 3 hours Raws...
Back to top Go down
Grecian
Most decorated Champion in history

Number of posts : 5498

PostSubject: Re: My 2012 in wrestling   Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:15 pm

Excellent post...

I'll post something longer when i'm not on my ps3.
Back to top Go down
hodge13

Number of posts : 5725 Favourite Wrestler : Randy Orton
CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Bryan Danielson
Chris Jericho

PostSubject: Re: My 2012 in wrestling   Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:47 pm

I have near enough stopped watching WWE on tv I now watch anything I do watch via youtube pretty much as its so easily accessible. However everything thats happened this year I have found fairly dull, Punk Vs Jericho was a let down for me for what could have been a fued to stick in the memory, Cena Vs Rock was as expected, trash talk just to get cheap laughs, but all together didn't find overly serious.

Is it bad I can't remember one match from Summerslam? Think that says enough about WWE atm 1 of their big 4 ppv's and nothing sticks to mind. In my last year of university with my dissertation due in 3 months, doubt I will be doing much else than uni work for now but will be attempting to keep up with WWE in that time.
Back to top Go down
Mackem

Location : Sunderland, England Number of posts : 7030 Favourite Wrestler : John Cena, Stone Cold Steve Austin, CM Punk, AJ Styles & The Boogyman

PostSubject: Re: My 2012 in wrestling   Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Firstly, good Post.

My wrestling in 2012 is as follows. (WWE) I always buy the Royal Rumble every year since it became PPV. It's always the best PPV of the year for me and I enjoyed it last year (mainly because it was the 1st time I watched it live and was in the that with Grec and Hodge discussing certain things about it). I always go round a friends for Wrestlemania. I enjoyed what I can remember of it. Regarding other PPV's. Unless its on sky sports I don't watch it (as in my previous threads state I very rarely watch wrestling online). So on that note I couldnt tell you what happened when.

Now regarding the weekly I always watch Raw and Smackdown due to the fact they are on TV. Agreed I fast forward parts but I must admit i do enjoy the 3 hour Raw. I just wish they kept Raw guys on Raw and SD guys on SD. Then there would be no need for the 3 hour Raw.

I've just started watching NxT now I know its on TV so again Sky plus comes in handy.

I watch TNA every week and all their PPV's - again, because its on TV. It got better in the summer but starting to go a bit silly again. Now imo iMPACT should go to a 3 hour show. Rosster is too big for one show but too small for two shows. that extra hour will help.

I don't watch ROH - even though most people on here rave about it. Most of the new guys coming through started off there i assume. The thing is that when they go to WWE or TNA, they are not used the way they should. I find myself reading posts on here about guys like Rollins, Reigns, Ambrose, Bryan etc etc and I struggle to see what all the fuss is about (Mainly Daniel Bryan). Stuck in a tag team and by all accounts he's a great technical wrestler. I havent seen this. In 2012 we saw the debut of the shield. I was intrested in this because I didn't know who they were. After looking them up online I found out they were Tyler Black and Jon Moxley. Two big names on the Indy scene. I now think they will be wasted in WWE because of this.

So going into 2013, I will still watch every raw, smackdown and iMPACT show, even though they will become stale and quite boring. Its more o a habit than anything (pretty much same as Eastenders).
Back to top Go down
therustman
NXT Main Event
NXT Main Event

PostSubject: Re: My 2012 in wrestling   Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:16 am

Mackem - just rewatch the 1st Bryan v Punk PPV match (Over the limit??) again and his first match on NXT v Jericho to see what the fuss is about.

He makes others look so good - similar to Angle and IMO is easily the best in ring 'storyteller' since HBK.
Back to top Go down
randy-poffo
TNA debut
TNA debut

Location : middlesbrough Number of posts : 919 Favourite Wrestler : macho man randy savage

PostSubject: Re: My 2012 in wrestling   Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:44 am

I've don't watch a lot of wrestling anymore.
I feel bored when i do get round to watching any of the WWE product. Everything has been done before and there is nothing new coming through.
Creative seem to have ran out of ideas, and when something does take intrest the story is killed of with bad booking. ie the nexus.

Looking at viewing figures for the WWE it has been in a steady decline over the last 8 years.
Back to top Go down
Grecian

Number of posts : 5498

PostSubject: Re: My 2012 in wrestling   Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:54 pm

My 2012 in wrestling:

The run between Rumble and Mania was pretty decent, the Triple H vs Undertaker rematch made that show, it was good to see the IC title finally getting some booking attention, the return of the Rock, Daniel Bryan as world champion, the following night Brock Lesnar returned, I marked out like a child for that... I ordered Extreme Rules to see Lesnar kick the shit out of Cena, and I certainly wasn't disappointed!

Then we get to the summer, and WWE seemed to split in half. One half, being driven by Punk, Bryan was great. Great matches, only ruined by WWE deciding to shove AJ into the storyline and giving it some crappy romantic angle, rather than 2 guys going at each other to geuinely see who the best in the world really is.

And that pretty much sums up WWE at the moment. Things have potential, and then get dumped on by creative. Ryback's short-lived 'Big Hungry' nickname was awful, Cena vs laurinatis was awful, Big Show as the dominant WWE heel is awful, Jerry Lawler back on commentary seems to ignore what's happening in the ring and rattle off as many one-liners as he can (and they just suck...).

Brock's return has been a bit of a waste so far a match against Cena I can understand, a match against Triple H just underlines how few genuine headliners WWE has at the moment), I'm glad the WWE title is relevant again and not just being shunted around, although I'd be much happier if WWE just bit the bullet and put both Ziggler and Cesaro over Cena... clean.

the one change I'd make to WWE is simple. I'd retire Vince and put Triple H in charge, with the sole condition that he must stay offscreen.
Back to top Go down
Rocky2
Wrestling Legend
Wrestling Legend

Location : In My House Number of posts : 4224 Favourite Wrestler : Shawn Michaels

PostSubject: Re: My 2012 in wrestling   Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:31 pm

I'm glad to read that I haven't missed anything amazing over the past 6 months. I stopped watching just before the RAW 1000 show, I can't even remember the main reasons why (except for AJ sticking her nose into the WWE title picture as Grecian mentioned), I just developed a general malaise about it.

However, my related videos on YouTube often feature videos from the WWEFanNation account and so I've kind of kept up to date with things that way, so I know that Punk turned heel, Rock won the WWE title and Ryback appears to be getting pushed to the moon. The first two things sound interesting (whether they are actually being executed well is another matter), Ryback, not so much! As for the Shield, that just conjures up bad memories of the Nexus/Corre.

The sole footage I've seen live on RAW involved Cena (that obscure character) drop shit on Ziggler and AJ. Regardless of it being a rip-off of the DX segment from '06, I just saw Cena make yet another ass out of a heel and it laid a lot of my worries about potentially missing the unmissable over those 6 months to rest. In summary, not a lot had changed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My 2012 in wrestling   

Back to top Go down

My 2012 in wrestling
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wrestling Forum And Videos :: Discussion's :: Wrestling Forum-
Jump to: