hodge13
Most decorated Champion in history

Number of posts : 5725 Favourite Wrestler : Randy Orton
CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Bryan Danielson
Chris Jericho

PostSubject: Have WWE forgotten how to build long feuds for Wrestlemania   Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:22 am

Just looking back over the last few Wrestlemanias and how long the main feuds were built for, only reason I have done this is because for me personally 4 WM's stand out. WM23, Batista Vs The Undertaker and John Cena Vs Shawn Michaels for the 2 world titles. Undertaker decided he would face Batista a couple of weeks after the royal rumble if my memory serves me correctly. From this there was a world title set and the other was set within a week or 2 after with HBK beating Edge and Orton in a triple threat (incidently I thought Edge should have faced Orton in a singles match at WM rather than both in MITB as this was the breaking up of Rated RKO).

Cena and HBK would then move onto winning the tag team titles and 'having each others back' each making sure the other made it to Wrestlemania.

On Smackdown's side of things Batista Vs The Undertaker was about one upping the other. The main thing I enjoyed though in the build up to WM23 was No Way Out, John Cena & HBK Vs Batista & The Undertaker, and the invasions on each others shows by the pairs of opponents.

Wrestlemania 24 - WWE title match

Mainly with Cena returning at the rumble and not being able to wait to have his title match, the feud kicked off right from the rumble till No Way Out, after which Triple H was added to the feud after winning the elimination chamber match. The defining features of this feud after the elimination chamber was Cena regaining a place in the world title match after Triple H being special guest ref for the match. Following which there was the triple threat takeover of Raw, where Orton, Cena and Triple H were each given a week of deciding their opponents fates on a Raw each. This kept each Raw interesting, especially with Triple H having Orton and Cena face the entire Raw roster.

Wrestlemania 25 - Randy Orton Vs Triple H

This all kicked off with Randy Orton's crusade against The McMahon family punting Vince, winning the Royal Rumble, facing Shane at No Way out and RKOing Steph infront of Triple H. For me this build up has been the best for WM in a long time. It's just a shame that Orton lost the WM match as he was on fire all the way up to the PPV and losing killed all his momentum.

Wrestlemania 26 - HBK Vs Undertaker

HBK desperate to get another shot at the streak, so it focused about HBK being determined to win the royal rumble, when this failed HBK ruined Taker's chances of a title match at WM by coming up through the bottom of the elimination chamber. To the point this match again like the ones listed above had a long build to it.

WM28:

Basically what i'm leading to is that WWE haven't had a proper lengthy build up to a feud since WM26 IMO. Rock Vs Cena, yes year long from when it was announced however the less said the better, and it didn't kick off until EC or so properly anyway. Punk Vs Jericho, should have started just after RR but didn't and ruined the build up.

WM27: Del Rio did nothing in his build up with Edge until attacking Edge after his EC match and Christian coming down for the save. Miz, beat Orton at RR due to interference and Jerry Lawler at EC.... joys. Not great build up for this PPV in hindsight, most of the attention seemed to be around The Rock hosting the event.

WM26: As said before hand HBK Vs Undertaker had build up. John Cena Vs Batista, only began after Batista beat Cena for the title at EC moments after Cena had won it himself. Chris Jericho Vs Edge, should have been a really good build up, but does anyone remember much that happened in the build up? Really...? In all honesty after HBK Vs Taker the match with the most effort in terms of length put into the build up was the Triple Threat implosion of Legacy so Orton Vs DiBiase Vs Rhodes as it started before EC with Both Orton and DiBiase being entered into the EC.

The only build up that stands out for me otherwise would be WM21 Batista Vs Triple H due to all the Evolution build up, however I focused on WM23 and after as 23 was the first WM I watched. So back to the main point, has the WWE forgotten how to build a lengthy feud going into WM? linking to a thread on here recently about the Elimination Chamber PPV, I feel it is starting to ruin the road to Wrestlemania. It now seems that the Royal Rumble is no longer the beginning of the road to Wrestlemania, well except for the winner. Even the title holders are no longer guaranteed their spot at WM after the RR. The Elimination Chamber is now becoming the road to WM meaning we no longer see long build ups to the PPV itself. We are now just 5 Raw's away from the PPV and while we can see matches that will happen the only confirmed matches are the two title matches. We will probably have CM Punk Vs Undertaker and Brock Lesner Vs Triple H, maybe even Kane Vs Bryan. But thats still 5 matches, any remaining matches will have 3 weeks build up tops.

Wrestlemania matches should be given longer build ups I would say a minimum of 5 weeks and the top matches should be dealt with by the EC PPV.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid

Number of posts : 12855

PostSubject: Re: Have WWE forgotten how to build long feuds for Wrestlemania   Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:09 am

I think it's mainly because The Rock, Lesnar, HHH, Jericho, Undertaker and Swagger have either just returned, not worked every show or not even had a match this year. That's a fair chunk of all the WM matches that these 6 guys count for. Not much else they could do, unless they wanted Del Rio, Big show, Cena, Punk, Ziggler and Orton to make three 1on1's

CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Bryan Danielson
Chris Jericho

PostSubject: Re: Have WWE forgotten how to build long feuds for Wrestlemania   Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:40 pm

Fair point Rock and Jericho were both returners for last years Mania with Triple H and Taker not having done much. It just strikes me that the Wrestlemania matches that have a lasting impression are those that are given a long and meaningful build up. Something WWE doesn't seem to do anymore.

Undertaker, Lesnar, and Triple H all could have returned earlier though this year. Yet WWE have written them to return with 5 weeks or so till the big event. If Undertaker/Punk had been allowed to build from before the EC PPV then I believe it would have been truely epic, not saying it won't be good but should have been given longer.
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid

PostSubject: Re: Have WWE forgotten how to build long feuds for Wrestlemania   Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:17 pm

Yeah, I completely agree it would be much more of an event if they were given a long build up, but with WWE juggling a few different options I doubt it was ever likely to happen. If the talk of them not knowing if he is ready to risk such a big match was true, that is.

I think we can praise the WWE for giving us a lot of top matches/feuds for this years wrestlemania though. It's in a way cobbled together, but it is alot better than some of the previous years in wrestling.

I for one am looking forward to Swagger vs Del Rio, HHH vs Lesnar, Anything the Shield do and anything CM Punk and or Heyman does at WM. Then there is also a huge title match, we can't argue between the Rock and Cena, which might get Sheild or Punk's attention. And there is still always the threat of MITB being cashed in.

This year will get the highest buy rate in years, I'd imagine. So at least one major twist is bound to happen, as it's such a big chance to shock fans and mainstream media.

(A side note: Who is booked to play the live music? WWE produced the rolling stones massive arena tour didn't they? Might be an opportunity for even more media attention)

CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Bryan Danielson
Chris Jericho

PostSubject: Re: Have WWE forgotten how to build long feuds for Wrestlemania   Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:23 pm

No idea who is performing at WM this year, who is the WM music done by this year? may give a clue.

Think the shield could face Jericho, Ryback and Orton, read a theory somewhere that WM could be where Orton turns and helps The Shield. I also believe Ziggler will cash in at WM, however Ziggler needs a match at Wrestlemania or it will scream that he will be cashing in. Give him a match at the start of the night and then have the WHC 4/5 last so it gives plenty of time for it to be convincing that Ziggler would have had some rest time.
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid

PostSubject: Re: Have WWE forgotten how to build long feuds for Wrestlemania   Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:30 pm

I'm sure they will be doing something with the midcard chaps. Kofi, Ziggler, R truth, Sandow, Cody, flipping mexicans (wherever they have vanished to) (all the makings for another MITB really.

Then Barrett vs Sheamus seems likely

Not sure if Miz and Cesaro are still feuding?

There is definitely plenty of people left to be put into the undercard

CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Bryan Danielson
Chris Jericho

PostSubject: Re: Have WWE forgotten how to build long feuds for Wrestlemania   Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Barrett and Sheamus seem to have something natural about them during their promos, hopefully any in ring work can be similar.
Back to top Go down
randy-poffo
TNA debut
TNA debut

Location : middlesbrough Number of posts : 919 Favourite Wrestler : macho man randy savage

PostSubject: Re: Have WWE forgotten how to build long feuds for Wrestlemania   Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:58 pm

I don't think it helps the feuds when half of the main events at wrestlemania will consist of part time wrestlers. HHH, Undertaker, Brock, And The Rock are going to be in the top three billed matches for Mania and none of them are full time.

Then for the WHC title Swagger has come from no where, to be in with a title shot. I like where he is going with his character but it should have been set up months ago, with him taking out the latino contingent on the WWE roster building him up as a true title contander. Instead he gets one promo on Raw and then wins the EC and finds himself with a shot.
Back to top Go down
hodge13

CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Bryan Danielson
Chris Jericho

PostSubject: Re: Have WWE forgotten how to build long feuds for Wrestlemania   Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:23 pm

Good point for Swagger and the WHC, could have had quite the build up, and could have helped Del Rio too.

Del Rio could have come out to make a save on Mysterio, it would get pointed out that Del Rio called Rey a chihuahua amongst other things, to which Del Rio could reply that his helping Rey is not about him but about standing against what Swagger is doing to Mexicans.
Back to top Go down
Grecian

Number of posts : 5510

PostSubject: Re: Have WWE forgotten how to build long feuds for Wrestlemania   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Firstly, great article.

As much as I like Swagger's work, Zeb Colter and the angle, I also think he's been rushed into the WHC match too quickly. I'd much rather he's gone after Sin Cara first, then targeted Khali as his Mania match and beaten him in a couple of minutes, then moved on to ADR over the summer.

As for the longer fueds... Mania is all about the buy-rate, whereas in previous years, it was all about building new stars - and to do that, you need lengthy storylines. Mania 21 saw Batista really launched, Rey was picked out for Mania 22, Cena and Edge really hit the big-time when they faced Triple H and Undertaker at Mania, if Orton had won at 25... since then, I can't think of a single wrestler who has won at Mania and had his career boosted by it as part of a lengthier push. Miz was booked as a spare part at 27 (incidentally, my shout for the worst Mania ever), 28 was all about Rock/Cena and Taker/Trips, and no midcarder was really elevated. Sheamus' 18 second joke did nothing for him at all.

Problem is, Rock vs Cena sells. Triple H vs Lesnar sells, Taker vs Punk sells, and any combination of those will sell. Until WWE has got the likes of Ziggler, Rollins, Kingston, Barrett or any of those in a position to make the next step by putting them over Cena and co cleanly, Mania 30 will be pretty much the same 6 guys in the same 3 matches.
Back to top Go down
hodge13

CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Bryan Danielson
Chris Jericho

PostSubject: Re: Have WWE forgotten how to build long feuds for Wrestlemania   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Fair point, the memorable WM's have an element of something (or someone) new about them, something the previous few have lacked.

Incidently I was going to do another guessing WM card a year early again after this one, for which 2 of the top matches are already set in stone for me being Rock Vs Brock (which I predicted this year) as well as Cena Vs The Undertaker, I think CM Punk will occupy the 3rd match and it will just be a matter of his opponent which could mean that again the WHC will be out of focus by being at most the 4th biggest match on the card.
Back to top Go down
Grecian

Number of posts : 5510

PostSubject: Re: Have WWE forgotten how to build long feuds for Wrestlemania   Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:53 pm

The only way I can see the WHC ever becoming a big deal again would be to properly split the brands again, and purposely build Orton as a heel and Daniel Bryan as a face, keep them apart for virtually the entire year, and have one of them win the Rumble.

Although thinking about it, in the past couple of years, it'ss been the WHC match with the new faces - ADR at 27, Sheamus & Bryan at 28, Swagger this year... shame it's for a title that on-one cares about.

My dream for Mania this year would have been to build the whole show between Vince and Heyman. Trips vs Lesnar, Punk vs Rock (I'd have had Rock lose at the Rumble, then win at EC and this being the final match) and Shield vs Cena, Orton and Ryback in a Streetfight / Falls Count Anywhere-type match. Then flesh out the card with the likes of ADR vs Swagger vs Ziggler, Sheamus vs Wade Barrett, some multi-man match with the likes of Cody, Kofi, Miz and co... and have given Taker the year off.
Back to top Go down
hodge13

CM Punk
Dolph Ziggler
Bryan Danielson
Chris Jericho

PostSubject: Re: Have WWE forgotten how to build long feuds for Wrestlemania   Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:06 pm

You highlight the WHC is used for new guys, simple solution, have more top level guys feuding over the title.

If you had say Randy Orton Vs CM Punk (example of top stars) for the WHC is that going to get more or less attention (fan wise) then say John Cena Vs whoever WWE title?

Heck even have John Cena hold the WHC if it were to boost it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have WWE forgotten how to build long feuds for Wrestlemania   

Back to top Go down

Have WWE forgotten how to build long feuds for Wrestlemania
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wrestling Forum And Videos :: Discussion's :: Wrestling Forum-
Jump to: