Wrestlemania thoughts...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grecian
Most decorated Champion in history

Number of posts : 5498

PostSubject: Wrestlemania thoughts...   Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Mania 29 for me can be summed up in one word - it was 'okay'.

There was nothing bad on the card, even Ryback vs Henry was better than I thought it'd be. The main problems were that the top 3 matches were quite easy to call.

CM Punk vs Undertaker - as a match, it was pretty good. However, it was lacking that one moment where you thought that Punk might actually win - it was missing Trips Tombstoning him at Mania 27, the Sweet Chin Music / Pedigree combo from 28... even the spot where Punk nailed him with the urn never looked that good, Punk waited too long before going for the pin.

My shout for match of the night goes surprisingly to Cena vs Rock. It started slowly, then built slowly to peak at the end, as all matches should. Even when they were trading finishers at the end, it did look like it could go either way... but Cena winning was not really in doubt, so I'm already prepared for Thrice In A Lifetime next year.

Aside from that, Shield and Fandango winning were the right results for the future. I'm hoping shield can now get some direction in their storyline and take control again, rather just being used as a tool for teasing an Orton / Big Show turn.

There were a couple of glaring omissions (no backstage stuff at all, no huge entrances for Rock or Cena), and the promo video of Cena preparing for his match just underlined that he's a bodybuilder rather than a wrestler. He lifts weights, but apparently does not wrestling training at all for the biggest match on the biggest show of the year?

as I say, it was a watchable, okay Mania. Just lacking that one huge Wrestlemania moment.
Back to top Go down
feяgie22
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid

PostSubject: Re: Wrestlemania thoughts...   Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:58 pm

Exactly it was okay. Every match ended as expected. Except Herny/Ryback.

Glad The Sheild won again.
Fandango/Jericho was a bit sloppy.
Tag match was good

No fat dancers or Diva matches.

Loved CM Punk with the grey/purple attire.

Brock Lesnar looked alot better, less flabby. And when he knocked HBK off the apron it looked a brutal shot.

But the Cena Salute was cringey as fuck.

And the spanish announce table won again, then got buried by Triple H lol.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Yoin13
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid

Number of posts : 12833

PostSubject: Re: Wrestlemania thoughts...   Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:41 pm

pretty much as we all thought in the article pre Mania. It needed a big moment and it didn't have one. Too many obvious rests for HHH he can't go at all anymore. Got the feeling Brock was waiting for HHH all the time. Did not suit him, as he is all about intensity. Best performance of the night goes to Heyman then Living Colour Then Zeb Colter. Huge problem. Raw will be better than WM

Second Divorce

Location : Glasgow Number of posts : 3774 Favourite Wrestler : Undertaker, CM Punk, Robert Roode, Kurt Angle, Michael McGillicutty, Jericho, Daniel Bryan, Ziggler, Jack Swagger

All Time - JBL/Edge/Shawn Michaels

PostSubject: Re: Wrestlemania thoughts...   Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:03 am

Is anyone watching raw tonight live on here?
Back to top Go down
mrtc2003
NXT Champion
NXT Champion

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Wrestlemania thoughts...   Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:04 am

My WM thoughts:

It was pretty good. Not great, not awful but just lacking in anything much to make it stand out from most other PPVs

The Shield looked good and I'm glad they won. Set Rollins really smacked his face into the guardrail when he jumped out at Randy Orton though...

Ryback vs Mark Henry was as expected although I thought that Ryback was going to win. I can only assume that they want to spin this out to another PPV.

The tag match was also as expected. I did like the little 'homage' they did to Daniel Bryan's WM match from last year. I'm also glad he got the match winning pin. It almost makes up for his disgraceful treatment last year.

Fandango really had to win his match against Jericho or his entire build-up would have been ruined. It was an ok match although the ending looked a bit sloppy, although that may have been intentional. Given that Jericho's defeat was a result of knackering his knee I was wondering whether he was actually meant to botch that Lionsault.

The Del Rio vs Swagger match was decent although for me unmemorable. I was rather disappointed that Swagger got no proper entrance (at least it wasn't shown on TV) mostly because I really like his music. But I think this is another feud that will carry on for a few more months and I'm interested in how it continues.

The Undertaker/Punk match was match of the night but it lacked something. Usually they do more during the match to tease that Undertaker might actually lose but we only got one really close fall towards the end (when Punk used the urn). Otherwise I didn't really feel that Taker was in much danger of losing.

The Triple H/Lesnar match wasn't especially good. I actually can't remember much of it other than HBK getting smacked in the face by Lesnar, HBK superkicking Heyman and Triple H getting covered in foam when the smoke machine for his entrance went awry. And Triple H shouldn't have won. If Lesnar is going to be more of a presence this year then he needed this win more than Triple H

And, finally, Rock vs Cena. Deathly dull at the start but it picked up later on and was probably better overall than last year's efforts. It might have helped that this was Rock's third match so far this year. And, although the result was never in doubt, they did do a better job of teasing the near falls than the Undertaker/Punk match did.
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid

PostSubject: Re: Wrestlemania thoughts...   Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:20 am

I can't work out this Raw crowd tonight. It's basically people from last night, but more confused than ever.

Also on chat if anyone is watching.
Back to top Go down
Mackem

Location : Sunderland, England Number of posts : 7030 Favourite Wrestler : John Cena, Stone Cold Steve Austin, CM Punk, AJ Styles & The Boogyman

PostSubject: Re: Wrestlemania thoughts...   Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Wrestlemania Thoughts. Hmm...yeah it was ok.

I've always said that I dont think Cena will ever turn heel but for a split second I thought it may just happen. When Cena lined Rock up for Peoples elbow, ran rope to rope. Up jumps Rock. Cena hooks the rope and stupidity Rocky and goes for the AA. I thought yeah, he's turning heel, then Rock reverses it. Thats it. No heel turn.

Other than that no Wrestlemania moments for me.
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid

PostSubject: Re: Wrestlemania thoughts...   Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:59 pm

Ihonestly think Grecian and the like have gone soft and are being too kind. It was "okay" for a low level No Limits or Capitol Punishment, for aWrestlemania it was so poor. I'd love to have a one on one chat with Vince to see if he was happy with it. He's made his money, WWE is a huge corporation, it's expanded to huge concert and movie production, they don't need a Wrestlemania that just "sells well" they need real talking points. I know there was no way out of the Rock Cena ending, it's been written to lead to that for 2 years (Cena loses and sucks for a year then beats the odds). But everything else should have been perfect and it was less than average.

NXT Champion
NXT Champion

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Wrestlemania thoughts...   Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:52 pm

Sexton Hardcastle wrote:
Ihonestly think Grecian and the like have gone soft and are being too kind. It was "okay" for a low level No Limits or Capitol Punishment, for aWrestlemania it was so poor. I'd love to have a one on one chat with Vince to see if he was happy with it. He's made his money, WWE is a huge corporation, it's expanded to huge concert and movie production, they don't need a Wrestlemania that just "sells well" they need real talking points. I know there was no way out of the Rock Cena ending, it's been written to lead to that for 2 years (Cena loses and sucks for a year then beats the odds). But everything else should have been perfect and it was less than average.

I can't really speak for anyone else but I guess I got a bit caught up in the genreal Wrestlemania buzz so I can forgive it for not being great. I've seen worse to be honest but I've also seen a lot better.

I will say this though, I think there is a problem when all the most exciting stuff of the weekend happens the day after Wrestlemania itself. I know they like to chase ratings but it shouldn't be at the expense of their biggest PPV, or indeed any PPV.
Back to top Go down
Grecian

Number of posts : 5498

PostSubject: Re: Wrestlemania thoughts...   Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:12 pm

I did genuinely find it okay. I've seen much worse Mania's (27 was just plain awful, worst Mania ever), it wasn't as good as 28, but it was really lacking that one memorable moment.

I liked that there were no short matches on the card, there was no multi-man match rammed with Zack Ryders and Santinos to get them onto the card, there was a fair bit of drama at certain points, and the wresting itself was good. A couple of guys made advancements (Shield and Fandango), but it was so predictable. That most of us on the prediction league only got the one match result wrong pretty much summed it up.

I'd been saying for months it was essentially a 6 man card, and how they were used weakened it. especially as at least 3 of them won't wrestle on the next PPV. Again, WWE sacrificed building for the future for an increased buy-rate; the fact that HBK got an entrance and Swagger didn't is a shocker.

For me, it felt a bit like the end of the cycle and Raw was the start of a new one. Rock & Cena has now finished for a few months, the Trips vs Lesnar storyline that's been going for months has now finished, Shield vs Orton and Sheamus has been put to bed. Everything now essentially starts again.

If WWE had gone with Ziggler cashing in at Mania, that would have been the moment it was lacking. now he's champ, it's a new cycle, I'm intrigued to see where they go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wrestlemania thoughts...   

Back to top Go down

Wrestlemania thoughts...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wrestling Forum And Videos :: Discussion's :: Wrestling Forum-
Jump to: