Wrestling Forum And Videos

HomeThe Portal!FAQRegisterLog in

Share | 

Most surprising Champion or Challenger

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ashton430
Wide eyed child watching his first Wrestlemania

Location : Liverpool Number of posts : 22 Favourite Wrestler : Taker, Mr Perfect and The Rock

PostSubject: Most surprising Champion or Challenger    Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:32 am

I have not watched the WWE for a long time, since about 2007. I am slowly getting back into it now, and I may have caught the odd show since 07 but not much.

Any way I have just read through the previous champions and have noticed some surprises.

The surprises are on two levels, firstly talented guys who I thought WWE would never push like Dolph and Swagger especially when you consider where they are now.

The second type are those who should have been no way near the title picture like Khali.

Who do you think the most surprising challenger and champions are
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid

Number of posts : 13003

PostSubject: Re: Most surprising Champion or Challenger    Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:32 am

I think Khali got it for Indian viewing figures. But is he surprising, or just old school? If he was against Hulk Hogan (he kind of was as it was Cena) it would have been normal. And to be fair Cena deserves more recognition for this rivalry. I remember he FU'd Khali off a crane. That is comparable to Hulk slamming Andre.

It slightly annoys me how they used to pop the title on mid carders to see how it goes without making them long term contenders. And now there's one title and a few ex heavyweight champions with no chance of getting close. I hope this IC tournament is the new attitude to pushes. It is a really strong field and can plant seeds for 4 rivalries. King of the ring should be like this too. And it might due to simple puns, king of the ring with the king of swing. Still waiting for Swagger vs Cesaro argh.

Wide eyed child watching his first Wrestlemania

Location : Liverpool Number of posts : 22 Favourite Wrestler : Taker, Mr Perfect and The Rock

PostSubject: Re: Most surprising Champion or Challenger    Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:34 pm

I honestly believe the reason for such short pushes for the mid carders is that the WWE are crap at maintaining fueds that don't involve titles.

This is Cena v Bray is being done well though so hopefully they will get better at it again.
Back to top Go down
Sexton Hardcastle
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid

Number of posts : 13003

PostSubject: Re: Most surprising Champion or Challenger    Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:08 pm

yeah, i'd much rather see a feud with a real rivalry than someone good being given a belt to reward them with no real push leading to it. Swagger was getting a new push last year, until he got caught driving stoned, but despite him getting his push cancelled he's still proving himself in ring and has no doubt knuckled down to get back in the good books. Cesaro has over taken him, but I still suspect they want to have a good run of matches between the two. HHH possibley has a new view on how to push people, if he and steph really are taking Raw on themselves now. So far he's done wonders for the Shield and having 8 credible wrestlers going for the IC instead of just passing it to the new guy can't be Bad News...

Most decorated Champion in history

Number of posts : 5619

PostSubject: Re: Most surprising Champion or Challenger    Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Money In The Bank Is to blame. Without that, Miz gets nowhere near the title or the Mania main event.

Mark Henry was quite surprising. After 15 years of being awful, he suddenly got good.

Back to top Go down
feяgie22
Heath Slater's Kid
Heath Slater's Kid

PostSubject: Re: Most surprising Champion or Challenger    Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:23 pm

Was just about to mention Henry, years of nothing then... good. Throwing cunts about.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Yoin13
mrtc2003
NXT Champion
NXT Champion

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Most surprising Champion or Challenger    Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:25 am

I always thought having Hardcore Holly going after Brock Lesnar's WWE Title was strange. Years of mod-card mediocrity and then suddenly he gets put into the Title picture. It all seemed a bit sudden and no one really bought him as a credible challenger.

As for most surprising champion: David Arqette in WCW. After him even The Miz looks like a great champion.
Back to top Go down
Grecian

Number of posts : 5619

PostSubject: Re: Most surprising Champion or Challenger    Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:34 am

mrtc2003 wrote:
I always thought having Hardcore Holly going after Brock Lesnar's WWE Title was strange. Years of mod-card mediocrity and then suddenly he gets put into the Title picture. It all seemed a bit sudden and no one really bought him as a credible challenger.

As for most surprising champion: David Arqette in WCW. After him even The Miz looks like a great champion.

Nobody makes Miz look a credible champion. No one.

Back to top Go down
Mackem

Location : Sunderland, England Number of posts : 7062 Favourite Wrestler : John Cena, Stone Cold Steve Austin, CM Punk, AJ Styles & The Boogyman

PostSubject: Re: Most surprising Champion or Challenger    Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:06 am

I didn't mind hardcore holly going for the belt. I believe Brock lesnar had broke Holly's neck and holly wanted revenge. Holly was never going to win but I can see why they had their fued. Lesnar being the champion was an added bonus for holly.
Back to top Go down
mrtc2003
NXT Champion
NXT Champion

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Most surprising Champion or Challenger    Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:09 pm

That's true, I'd forgotten about the broken neck. In that respect it did make sense to have him go after Lesnar. I'm not sure I'd have ended the feud at the Royal Rumble though. It didn't really feel like a PPV quality feud - more like something that would have wrapped up on SmackDown.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most surprising Champion or Challenger    

Back to top Go down

Most surprising Champion or Challenger
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Wrestling Forum And Videos :: Discussion's :: Wrestling Forum-
Jump to: